Monday, June 22, 2009

Week 3

Wow I've already been here for almost a month! I can't believe its been that long. I went back to the ice on the 17th, the same day Jamie left for home. She was keeping me sane up here, so we'll see how I hold up with no one to talk to. There are five of us now, Me, Rick (the boss) Jess and Robert ( a couple who can't be more than 2 feet away from each other 24/7) and Matt (38 working on getting back into the dog world after selling all of his dogs a while back.) I was told at 10:30 that I was to be on the 11:15 flight so I ran around like chicken with my head cut off said a tearful goodbye to Jamie, rushed over only to find out that I wouldn't be able to get on a flight until 1:15. I almost broke down but I held myself together and worked my butt off this week! I think I would like it better if I worked all week and only came down a few hours every few days to shower and do some laundry and call the people who mean the most to me.
Its back to the "normal" weather up on the ice which consists of clouds, fog and rain, with the sun coming through every now and then. Thursday I gave 4 tours and it rained a little but it held off at least for tours. Friday we had a two tours one of 12 ppl and one of 10 nothing too big, our biggest days are tues-thurs. Saturday I think I gave my best tour yet. It was supposed to be a tour of 12 people but 7 canceled at the last min. Apparently one lady wouldn't get on the scale (the helicopter can only carry so much weight) since she wouldn't get on the entire family wouldn't and then walked out! The couple I gave a tour to said she looked like she maybe weighed in the 130 lb range! Sunday we woke up at 6:30 to a white out and pouring rain GROSS! Rick and I fed the dogs and then went back to our tents and I read all morning until 11:30 when we got the word that we would be giving the 12:30 tour, it was snowing then and windy and still foggy! A wicked gross day... After a lot of undecisive people (Rick and Coastal) talked about the weather for 45 min the 12:30 got canceled, just 10 min later then snow and rain stopped and the fog lifted! We ended up running the tours for 1:30-4:30, the rain picked back up and by the end of the day when Rick asked me how fast I could pack my stuff I ran to my tent packed it up and was able to come back to Juneau! The hot shower (at least for the frist 5 min) was awsome after a day like that! I'm EXHAUSTED!
Sorry this one isn't as detailed as the others, I'll write more soon

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like things are going to well out there. I hope things get better, Call me if you need to talk or you feel lonely.