It's almost time to start my next adventure! The season for us to be on the ice on the Herbert is down to less than 6 inches in some places!
But lets go back a few weeks. I gave a tour to a family that was going really well until the end. The family had three kids, and the oldest son was a typical boy and not listening to anything the parents were saying and was horsing around. Now we have a few dogs that have a lil bit of a diarrhea problem... Now this one dog named Bluto was having a really bad day and it was sorry bubbling out in spurts like a hose with air in it. The Kid didn't see it and was down on the ground with him sticking his face right in Bluto's. I was just about to go over and tell him to stop forcing the dogs face's into his face when we all turned around to see the kid standing up and his once yellow raincoat is now brown.. He was covered head to toe in dog $hi% !!! It was the end of a very long day and none of us could hold back the laughter!!! We just about burst!
Then came the clouds.. and the rain... We had 5 weather days in a row! three days of tours, the third day was half cancelled, then two more weather days where all we could see was white... nothing but white clouds, we became known as cloudcamp instead of dog camp...By the time the weather days were gone we had gone from 4-6 feet of snow to 1/2-2 feet of snow! and Cravases all over the place! IT was way past time to get the dogs off the ice and pack up. Robert and Jess left and we got a new girl named Anna who came to work for us. And then the calls began... Getting everything to fall into place to get the dogs off the ice and start breaking camp down. So wednesday the 26th all the dogs got off the ice in only 4 flights! We had 21 dogs in one helicopter load! wow that was a heavy load! Once all the dogs were gone we got to work with breaking camp down starting with unscrewing all the dog houses (79 to be exact) and getting them packed up in gravel bags, then we started tking apart and gathering everything else up and getting it ready to go. Around noon the sun came out and clouds cleared and the glacier was beautiful!!! we worked until 7 that night and then got up at 6 the next morning and continued to take apart the tents and gather everything else up and stage it so its ready to go. However at about 10 am the wind started to really pick up and the rain started coming down in sheets. it was blowing about 20-30 mph with gusts up to 70!!! it was so windy at one point, Anna and I were in the Kitchen tent that takes 4 adults to move inches at a time with poles, that the kitchen tent moved about a foot!!! just with the wind! Rick came on the radio and told us he was gonna send someone up to get us! Rescue time! Wow the ride back was... interesting I thought i was gonna lose the peanut butter sandwhich... But now we're just waiting to go back up to the ice to finish breaking stuff down and sling it off the ice with the helicopters! we just need the wind to stop blowing so hard... keep your fingers crossed so that we can get up soon and get everything off so that I can catch my flight to Anchorage on Friday the 4th!!! :-)